Western Front Battlefield Tour
There will be two tours to the Western Front commencing on different dates, and a joint Gallipoli and Western Front tour.
You can choose to:
- attend the official Australian ANZAC Day activities at Villers-Bretonneux including the ceremony at the Australian National Memorial on the Western Front "Gold" tour
- extend your Gallipoli tour with visits to the battlefields in France and Belgium on the Western Front "Green" tour
- tour both Gallipoli and the Western Front battlefields on the Gallipoli Anzac Day and Western Front battlefield tour
Your guide will be one of the Memorial's historians.
Our tours to the Western Front have operated since 1993 and are a commemorative and educational journey into an important part of our nation’s history and, for many, a personal pilgrimage. They combine these opportunities with visits to famous cultural sites and many fascinating places not found on the usual tourist routes.
Commencing in Paris and ending in London, the Western Front tour takes you along the old front line once well known to the diggers throughout 1916-18. There are the places of great triumph and tragedy, such as Pozieres, Bullecourt, Fromelles, Ypres, Villers-Bretonneux, and Peronne. Looking with your guide at the battlefields, memorials and war cemeteries, the Australians’ stories unfold. There are also the former ‘back areas’ appearing much as they did when the Australians were billeted and rested there. You will meet local French people to whom the memory of the diggers remains strong.
The Western Front tour visits the many battlegrounds, historic sites, and important monuments, throughout the Somme, Arras and Flanders. It includes Paris and Brugges for sight-seeing, shopping and restaurants.
- Participate in Menin Gate ceremony
- Historial de la Grande Guerre, Peronne
- Western Front "Gold" Anzac Day tour 20 April – 1 May 2014
- Western Front "Green" tour 28 April - 9 May 2014
- Gallipoli Anzac Day and Western Front battlefield tour 17 April - 9 May 2014
For bookings and more information
Boronia Travel Centre
Telephone: 1800 035 350 (Free call)
Fax: (03) 9762 9752
AWM Battlefield Tours
PO Box 22
BORONIA VIC 3155