|Place made||Australia: Victoria, Melbourne|
|Date made||1924 -1927|
|Medium||figures: oil, wax on lead; background: synthetic polymer paint with oil and gold leaf on plywood; modelling: dry colour on plaster over wood and wire|
|Measurement||Overall: 380 x 880 x 510 cm; height of largest figure: 48 cm; height of smallest figure: 18 cm|
|On display||Main building: World War 1 Gallery: Gallipoli Gallery|
This diorama depicts the attack of the Turkish position known as Lone Pine on 6 August 1915. As the sun was sinking behind Imbros and Samothrace, the Anzacs made their determined charge against the enemy's position. The trenches were roofed over with pine-logs which the Australians tore away and then lowered themselves down to be met by the waiting enemy. Others, too impatient to rip away the logs, gained entry through the sally-ports and the breaches made by the bombardments. The position was captured within twenty minutes and held after four days of counter-attack and 2000 casualties. Work began on the Lone Pine diorama in 1924. It is likely that when first exhibited in Melbourne the figures were originally made of plasticine which were cast in metal at a later date. Louis McCubbin painted the original figures, background and modelling. The background was repainted according to the orginal design by Louis McCubbin, by George Browning, first in 1953-54 and again in 1982 assisted by Rob Slater. Browning was assisted on the second occassion by his wife, Joan and Slater.