Dedication of Lae War Cemetery, Lae
(Download video 7.45 MB)
|Title||Dedication of Lae War Cemetery, Lae|
|Object type||To be confirmed|
|Place made||New Guinea: Huon Peninsula, Lae Markham River Area, Lae|
|Date made||23 April 1944|
|Measurement||1 min 36 sec|
|Video||Download video 7.45 MB|
The official opening and dedication of the Australian War Cemetery at Lae was performed on 23rd April, 1944 by the Commander, New Guinea Force, Lieutenant General Sir Leslie J Morshead, KCB, KBE, COM, DSO, ED, assisted by Chaplain C M Swan and NX147742 Chaplain John William Drakeford. The official party included the Honourable E J Ward Esq, M P, then Minister for External Territories, the commander's A D C, Captain F K Thomas, the Minister's private secretary, Mr J Donovan,VX285 Major General Basil Moorhouse Morris DSO, GOC ANGAU and his ADC, VX1163 Lieutenant Frederick A rthur Franklin, Lieutenant Commander Eric John Barron, representing the RAN, 260100 Wing Commander Donald Edward G Walker representing the RAAF, and Brigadier General Robert H Van Volkenburgh representing US Forces. On three sides of the Cemetery were officers and men of 29 Australian Infantry Brigade, officers and men of 814 MP Company US Army and a detachment from the Royal Papuan Constabulary. On either side of the official dais were sisters from 2/7 AGH and representatives of other units in the area.
Please note: The film and sound collections of the Australian War Memorial includes items which may contain: historically or culturally sensitive images and terms, confronting depictions of the consequences of warfare, and/or, human suffering or death. This material does not reflect the viewpoint of the Memorial, but rather is representative of the social attitudes and circumstances of the period or place in which it was created and also the reality and human cost of warfare.
If you have queries about material in the film or sound collections, please contact email@example.com