Image copyright: © Australian War Memorial licensed copyright
|Object type||Black & white|
|Physical description||Black & white|
|Copyright holder||Clackson, Richard|
De Havilland DH9 PD stands on exhibition in the Aeroplane Hall of the Australian War Memorial prior to its disassembly and removal. This aircraft was originally built for the RAF, Serial Number F 1278, before it was registered on the British civil register as G-EAQM. In 1920, this aircraft, flown by Lieutenant (Lt) Ray Parer and Lt John McIntosh, was the first single-engine aircraft to fly from England to Australia. The letters P.D. painted on the side of the fuselage acknowledge the sponsorship of the flight by the whisky distiller, Peter Dawson. At this time the Aeroplane Hall underwent considerable change to include the display of Second World War aircraft. The DH9 was subsequenty lent to St Stanislaus College, Bathurst, Parer's old college where it resided for many years. It was returned to the Memorial and a major restoration was completed in 1991. In 2001 it was displayed in the Museum of Victoria as part of the Memorial's "Forging the Nation" temporary exhibition. Standing (left) are two RAAF servicemen who will help to dismantle the aircraft, while standing behind them are the wheels and base of a First World War German 75mm anti-aircraft gun.