Mothers and Widows badge : Mrs M Hutchins
|Title||Mothers and Widows badge : Mrs M Hutchins|
|Maker||G & E Rodd|
|Place made||Australia: Victoria, Melbourne|
|Physical description||Brass White metal|
Circular white metal Mothers and Widows badge with silver safety chain and pin. The obverse shows a raised image of a woman and part of a laurel wreath with the words 'FOR AUSTRALIA' in raised letters. Suspended from the main body by two securing rings is a flat rectangular bar with four brass Federation stars. The number of stars represents the number of relatives involved in the war effort. A small metal chain is attached to the left securing ring, to which is attached a safety pin. The reverse is impressed with the serial number 'A2478' and above this are the raised words 'ISSUED BY THE C'WLTH GOVT'. Below the serial number are the impressed maker's details of 'G & E RODD' and 1940.
Mothers and Widows Badge belonging to Mrs Mary Hutchins. Mrs Hutchins had nine sons and two daughters with her husband Henry in Woorinen, near Swan Hill in rural Victoria. All her sons worked in the local agricultural community before war broke out and seven, William, Malcolm, Ivan, Alan, David, Fred and Eric, enlisted with the Second Australian Imperial Force. Four of Mrs Hutchins' sons, Alan, David, Fred and Eric died during the war.