Pfalz D.XII Scout Aircraft
- Image 1
- Image 2
|Title||Pfalz D.XII Scout Aircraft|
|On display||Anzac Hall: Over the Front: The Air War Open Display 01 (Pfalz)|
Pfalz D.XII single engine biplane scout/fighter aircraft, serial no. 2600/18. The fuselage is constructed from moulded plywood, and the wings/tail assembly is constructed from timber ply and strip section using timbers spars for strength. The entire airframe is fabric covered; the fuselage with a plain linen material which was then finished in camouflage paint. The wings were covered in printed five colour lozenge camouflage fabric finished with plain dope. The horizontal tail surface are believed to have been covered with five colour fabric on top and painted light blue below. The fin was covered in upper surface patter five colour lozenge, while the rudder was painted white.
The Pfalz D.XII entered production in mid 1918, and was first issued to operational units of the German Air Service in about September. By October there are believed to have been about 180 Pfalz D.XIIs in service on the Western Front. The type is known to have been issued Jastas 23, 32, 34, 35, 64, 65, 66, 77, 78, and 81, as well as some home defense units. There are few known instances of contact between Australian airmen and Pfalz D.XIIs. This aircraft was given to Australia under terms of the Armistice that ended the First World War. The aircraft was sent from 2 Aircraft Salvage Depot in France to the UK by cross-channel steamer in late 1919, and was subsequently shipped to Australia. Its service history is unknown, but contemporary evidence suggests that the aircraft was regarded as 'used'. This indicates that the machine may have seen active use. 2600/18 was displayed in the Memorial from the 1940s until the 1960s. During this time it was mistakenly identified as a Pfalz which was forced down after combat with aircraft from 4 Squadron AFC in 1918.