Mk IV Female Tank
|Title||Mk IV Female Tank|
|Place made||United Kingdom: Scotland, Glasgow|
Mk IV 'Female' Tank. A First World War British armoured fighting vehicle finished in an overall matt brown green colour. The tank has a distinctive rhombodial shape with a large sponson on each side which has two light machine gun ports. The steel plate armoured hull and sponsons have characteristic large rivets projecting out from the surface of the tank. The track is constructed from metal and travel over the entire length of the vehicle. On the side of the tank towards the rear are stencilled in white paint the manufacturer's indentification number 4643. The front glacis of tank has a single light machine gun port. The interior of the tank is painted white and the Daimler 6 cylinder engine is centrally mounted.
In June 1918 this newly manufactured Mark IV Female tank arrived in Australia, from Glasgow. The tank was used as a propaganda tool and toured to raise money for the war effort. The tank's crew was made up of eight men of the Permanent Military Forces, all formally of the Australian Imperial Force, led by Captain N L Brown. In mid September 1918 the tank featured in War Loan rallies in Adelaide, South Australia. There, a competition was held to name the tank and on Saturday 14 September it was christened 'Grit' by Lady Galway.