Parking, transport and visitor information
- Large numbers are expected; members of the general public should arrive from 4.30 am. Please note if you are planning to walk to the Memorial via ANZAC Parade to keep to the footpaths and remain off the road as the shuttle buses will be in operation
- This is an informal ceremony, with visitors standing on the Parade Ground
- On-site lighting is provided until 5.25 am
- The Commemorative Area will be open to the public 15 minutes after the ceremony
- First aid tent and ambulances plus trained First Aid staff will be in attendance
- Orders of Service are available free of charge upon arrival
- Poppies and candles will be available for a donation
- It is suggested you wear warm clothing and bring a torch
- Public toilets at the Terrace Cafe will be open, and there will also be portable toilets onsite
- Red Cross and Salvation Army will be serving beverages for a donation
- The Terrace Café will be open after 6 am.
There is no allocated seating for the Dawn Service. Visitors are welcome to occupy the seating in place for the National Ceremony, as well as to stand on the Parade Ground.
Parking and transportation
Road closures will be in effect from 4:00 am until 1:00 pm, which will limit public access to parking at the Memorial. The large number of visitors in attendance at the ceremony will also limit the amount of available parking on site.
- Traffic from Limestone Avenue diverts onto Treloar Crescent
- Traffic from Fairbairn Avenue diverts onto Treloar Crescent
- ANZAC Parade closed from Constitution Avenue including the Blamey Crescent and Currong Street intersection
A shuttle service will run from Russell Offices (Sir Thomas Blamey Square) to the Australian War Memorial from 4:00 am until 5:10 am, with return shuttles to Russell Offices starting at 6:10 am after the ceremony. All visitors are encouraged to use this service and park at the Russell Offices. Please see the attached map for drop off and pick up points. This map also shows ACTION buses drop off/pick points for both north and south side interchanges for the Dawn Service only.
Visitors using the ACTION shuttle service or other public transport should note that where you get off the bus is where you get back on to return to your destination.
Mobility Impaired parking: for details, please refer to this map showing the limited quantity of mobility impaired parking.
Dress and weather
The Dawn Service takes place before sunrise, and the weather can be quite cold. The ceremony will go ahead in the event of rain and inclement weather. All visitors are encouraged to dress appropriately for the weather. If you wish to wear family medals then they should be worn on the right hand side of the chest.
Opening hours for the Memorial's cafes:
The Terrace at the Memorial: 6am - 4.30pm
The Landing Place: 12noon - 4.30pm
Information and activities for those visiting Canberra.