The most valuable learning experience for both students and teachers is to participate in one of our facilitated programs. The goal of all our programs is to assist students to remember, interpret and understand the Australian experience of war and its enduring impact on Australian society.
Programs draw on real objects and fascinating stories, using hands-on items and interactive discussion to engage students. All programs are linked to national curriculum profiles for History, English, Visual Arts, Science and Technology.
- Facilitated programs can be booked to start at 9 am for groups with less than 60 students. Groups larger than 60 students can book programs from 10 am.
- Facilitated programs are only available Monday to Friday. Some programs have limited availability.
- Each program has a maximum group size. Large groups will need more time. Example, you have 100 students and want the ANZAC legend program, you will need to allow 2 hours for your visit.
- Minimum charge applies for all education programs. Accompanying adults are free of charge. Prices are correct for 2011-2013 and are GST inclusive.
- If the number of students you bring exceeds the number booked, we cannot guarantee a program to all students. Notify the Bookings officer of any changes.
- Ensure your students arrive at the Education Space 10 minutes before program commences.
- On arrival in the Education Space, your students will be divided into groups of up to 15, each with an accompanying adult. (Vietnam era: war and conscription program group size is a maximum of 30 students.)
- The Discovery Zone can also be booked in conjunction with an education program.
In recognition of the 100 year anniversary of the First World War in 2015, the Australian War Memorial is redesigning its First World War galleries. As a result, some of the First World War gallery spaces will be closed from the middle of 2013 to the end of 2014. All of the Memorial’s other galleries will remain open and alternative First World War content will be displayed in other galleries. Please note that all education programs will continue to run. Programs based on First World War content will simply be broadened to include other conflicts and themes. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us on 02 6243 4268.
|Program||Primary||Secondary||Cost per head||Duration||Maximum group size||Comment|
|ANZAC legacy||Yes||$6.05||1 hour||60||Available|
|Australians and the First World War: aftermath and impact||Yes||$6.05||1 hour||60||Available|
|Strange but true||Yes||Yes||$4.40||45 minutes||60||Available|
|We will remember them||Yes||Yes||$4.40||45 minutes||60||Available|
|Go back to the source||Yes||Yes||$6.05||1 hour||60||Available from 1 Jan 2012|
|Australia in the Second World War||Yes||$6.05||1 hour||60||Available from 1 Jan 2012|
|The Vietnam era: war and conscription||Yes||$6.05||1 hour||30||Limited availability|
|"Blak diggers" - an indigenous perspective||Yes||Yes||$6.05||1 hour||
|Teacher guided visit||Yes||Yes||Free||No restriction||60||
|The Past in the Present||Yes||No||$4.40||45 minutes||60||Available|