Tips for school visits
- Bookings are essential for all school groups visiting the Memorial.
- All students are given an orientation to the Memorial on arrival in the Education Space.
Before you come
To ensure that your students and other visitors have an enjoyable experience, the Australian War Memorial asks that you:
- Plan at least 2 hours for your visit. The Memorial is large with much to see.
- Talk to your students about appropriate behaviour in a special place of remembrance and commemoration.
- Arrive at the Memorial at least 10 minutes before your booked time.
- Groups arriving late will be accommodated only if possible.
- If you have booked a facilitated program, please be aware that your program may be cut short if you arrive late and that you will still be charged for your program.
- Bring your completed PACER paperwork for validation and stamping. Ensure this is completed no less than 3 weeks prior to your excursion.
- Notify us if your group numbers change. You must notify the Memorial School Bookings Officer of any changes to student numbers no less than 5 working days prior to your scheduled visit.
- A decrease to numbers after this will require full payment as the Memorial has paid to engage staff based on your booking.
- An increase to numbers, without notification, could result in insufficient staff ratios to deliver your program/s.
- Notify us if you need to cancel your booking. You must notify the Memorial School Bookings Officer in writing of cancellation of your booking.
- Cancellations should be made no less than 5 working days prior to your scheduled visit.
- Cancellations made after this will require full payment as the Memorial has paid to engage staff to fulfill your booking.
- Coach parking located off Treloar Crescent.
- Coaches are permitted to drop off (only) students at the Schools Education Space, coaches must then be moved to the Coach parking area.
- Enter the Memorial via the School's Education Space.
- A maximum of 90 students is admitted every 15 minutes to the Schools Education Space for the orientation process. This may mean that your school will need to be admitted in separate groups, 15 minutes apart.
- Please be patient if you arrive late. We will accommodate you as soon as possible, but priority must be given to groups that arrive at their appointed time. If you have booked a facilitated program, please be aware that your program may be cut short if you arrive late.
- To protect the Memorial's collection, we do not allow food, drink and backpacks in the galleries. These items should be left on your coach, as limited storage space is available at the Memorial. Water and medication may be carried in the galleries.
While you’re here
To experience all the Memorial has to offer visiting students, make sure you visit the School excursions page on the Education site. This page gives information and links to the various activities you can do to enhance your excursion.
You can pre-order breakfast, lunch or dinner for your students through the Terrace cafe.
Menus and ordering information (193Kb PDF file) or call (02) 6230 4349.
Alternatively, students can purchase food onsite and use the picnic area behind the Memorial, on the base of Mount Ainslie, or beside the Terrace cafe.
View this page as a PDF (150Kb PDF file)