Rabaul

Rabaul, in New Britain, was the capital of German New Guinea. The town stood on the large natural harbour of Blanche Bay, which it was thought could be utilised by Germany's Pacific fleet. Rabaul was occupied by troops from the Australian Naval and Military Expeditionary Force on 12 September 1914, and remained under Australian administration until the end of the war.