Bottesford

Bottesford airfield, in Lincolnshire in England's central east, was opened as an operational bomber station in November 1941. It had three concrete runways, construction of which had begun in November 1940. The airfield was named for the nearby town of Bottesford, although it was locally known as Normanton airfield because it was built beside the village of that name. Two Bomber Command squadrons, 207 RAF and 467 RAAF, operated from the airfield in succession before it was handed over to the United States Army Air Force IX Troop Carrier Command in November 1943. Bomber command took control of the airfield again in July 1944 and it remained in use until 1948.