Driffield

The site of Driffield airfield, in Yorkshire in northern England, was first used as a military landing ground in 1916 by aircraft attempting to intercept German zeppelins. The facilities at Driffield (then known as Eastburn) were progressively developed in ensuing years but they were subsequently demolished after the airfield was abandoned in February 1920. A new airfield was opened on the site in July 1936 as a Royal Air Force (RAF) bomber station. Apart from a period between January and April 1941 when Fighter Command squadrons operated from Driffield, it was a Bomber Command station for all of the Second World War. Following the war, Driffield remained an operational airfield until 1963. It was taken over by the British Army in January 1977.