Scampton

Scampton airfield, in Lincolnshire in England's central east, was first opened as a Royal Flying Corps station in December 1916. It closed in April 1919. The land was used to construct another airfield between 1935 and 1937. Scampton served as a Bomber Command station throughout the Second World War and its original grass runways were surfaced in late 1943. During 1943, Scampton was the home of 617 Squadron, Royal Air Force (RAF), the legendary "Dambusters". It remained an operational RAF station until 1996.