Point Cook

Point Cook, 25 kilometres south east of Melbourne on the shore of Port Phillip Bay, was first purchased for use as a military aerodrome in early 1913. The Central Flying School opened there on 7 March 1913 making it the world's first dedicated military aerodrome. Over the years Point Cook has been home to numerous RAAF units and training establishments. Although the airfield is soon to be decommissioned and passed to a civilian operator, several Australian Defence Force (ADF) units and establishments including the RAAF Museum, the RAAF College, RAAF Training Command and the ADF School of Languages maintain a military presence at Point Cook.