Russell's Top

Russell's Top was part of a ridge line that stretched northwest from ANZAC Cove and joined the "second ridge", along which the ANZAC frontline was established, at the large round hill called Baby 700. Russell's Top was joined to Baby 700 by a thin bridge of land called the Nek. "The Top" was the highest point within the ANZAC perimeter and commanded views along most of the Turkish line to the south of Baby 700. On it was sited an artillery battery and at least eight machine-guns. It was named after Brigadier Andrew Russell, commander of the New Zealand Mounted Rifles Brigade, who established his headquarters on it in May 1915.