Sopwith Ships Pup

The Sopwith Pup was originally designed as a fighting scout for Britain's Royal Naval Air Service. One Australian pilot recalled that it was a "beautiful little thing to fly". The design was subsequently modified for operation off naval vessels and the Sopwith Ship's Pup was born. The modified Pup was fitted with flotation gear, an upward firing machine gun or eight anti-Zeppelin rockets, and, in some instances, landing skids in place of wheels. Ships's Pups were operated by HMA Ships Australia and Sydney.

Specifications:



Type:   shipboard fighter
Entered service:   1917
Crew:   1
Wing span:   8.07 m
Length:   5.88 m
Weight (laden):   592 kg
Ceiling:   5,334 m
Endurance:   3 hrs
Speed:   170.5 km/h
Armament:   1 x .303-in Lewis of Vickers machine-gun or 8 x rockets