GAF Lincoln

GAF Lincoln

The Avro Lincoln was designed during the Second World War to replace the Avro Lancaster. With the Lincoln’s long-range capabilities, a necessity for operating in the Pacific, Australia ordered 85 aircraft, although only 73 were delivered. They were built under licence, by the Government Aircraft Factory (GAF), and were the largest aircraft built in Australia.

The first GAF Lincoln, which flew in March 1946, was one of five to be built mainly from British parts. The components for the remaining aircraft were locally produced and the aircraft remained in manufactured until September 1953. During this time, there were several new and converted Lincoln variants, including the “long-nose” version for maritime patrolling.

From the late 1940s and throughout the 1950s Lincolns served with 1, 2, 6, and 10 Squadrons. 1 Squadron later flew the aircraft in Malaya and 10 Squadron continued to fly Lincolns until 1961, when they were replaced by Canberra bombers.


Specifications:

GAF Avro Lincoln B30

Type: Four-engine, long-range bomber and general/maritime reconnaissance aircraft

Entered service: 1946

Crew: 7, as a bomber aircraft; 11 as a general reconnaissance aircraft, including 3 sonobuoy operators

Wing span: 36.57 m

Length: 23.86 m

Weight (laden): 34,019 kg

Ceiling endurance: 28,000 ft

Speed: 499km/h (max.); 346 km/h (cruising)

Armament: Twin 0.50 guns in each of nose and tail turrets; twin 20 mm guns in dorsal turret; max. bomb load: 6350 kg (14 000 lb)

Collection items

Search for related collection items