Australian Mounted Division

Originally called the Imperial Mounted Division, the Australian Mounted Division was formed in early 1917. It was made up of the 3rd Light Horse Brigade, transferred from the ANZAC Mounted Division, the newly re-formed 4th Light Horse Brigade, and two British mounted brigades. The division was renamed on 20 June 1917 at the urging of the Australian Government; British units, with the exception of artillery, were gradually removed from its order of battle.