SS Alacrity

Built at Gravelle in France as the S.S. Jean Bart, this tug saw service in the waters of that country until purchased by Howard Smith Australian Steamships in 1902. Sold to the RAN in 1917 and renamed Alacrity, she was not commissioned but was manned by civilian personnel and the Royal Australian Naval Brigade. She served as a patrol vessel and minesweeper in the Fremantle, Western Australia area until paid off in July 1918. She continued to operate in private hands and was finally scrapped in 1929.

Glossary

Specifications

Class:   patrol vessel/auxiliary mine sweeper
Launched:   1893
Commissioned:   not applicable
Complement:   pending further research
Length:   145 feet 6 inches [44.34m]
Beam:   27 feet [8.22m]
Draught:   pending further research
Displacement:   353 tons gross
Speed:   pending further research
Armament:   nil
Armour:   not applicable

Pendant Number(s)

  • Nil

Casualties

  • RAN: Nil

For more information please see the Roll of Honour, Wounded and Missing, First World War Nominal Roll and Embarkation Roll databases.

Decorations

  • Nil

For more information please see Honours and Awards database

References

  • J. Bastock, Australia's Ships of War, (Sydney: Angus and Robertson, 1975).
  • R. Gillett, Australian & New Zealand warships, 1914-1945, (Lane Cove: Doubleday, 1983).
  • A.W. Jose, Official History of Australia in the War of 1914-1918, Volume IX, The Royal Australian Navy, (Sydney: Angus and Robertson, 1937).