The Discovery Zone
Dodge sniper fire in a First World War trench, take control of an Iroquois helicopter and peer through the periscope of a Cold War submarine.
The Discovery Zone features five environments inspired by Australia’s military history:
- a trench on the Western Front in France from the First World War
- the Australian home front during the Second World War
- an Iroquois helicopter hovering in a field in Vietnam
- an Oberon Class submarine, searching for enemy targets
- a peacekeeping mission in a war-ravaged community
Children can climb, jump, crawl, touch and explore in all areas of the Discovery Zone. It looks, feels and even smells different to the Memorial’s other galleries. Come and experience it for yourself.
The Discovery Zone is an educational space for visiting school groups. The public is invited to enjoy this space from 12.30 pm to 1.30 pm on weekdays and all day during weekends, public holidays and ACT school holidays.