Filters (2 applied)Clear All
- related places : Europe: France, Picardie, Somme, Amiens Harbonnieres Area, Villers-Bretonneux Area (remove)
- has sound : no (remove)
has video (1)
related units (41)
- German Army (9)
- American Expeditionary Forces (WW1) (4)
- 13th Australian Infantry Battalion (3)
- 26th Australian Infantry Battalion (3)
- 46th Australian Infantry Battalion (3)
- 53rd Australian Infantry Battalion (3)
- 9th Australian Infantry Brigade (3)
- Salvage (3)
- 14th Australian Machine Gun Company (2)
- 21st Australian Infantry Battalion (2)
- 31st Australian Infantry Battalion (2)
- 35th Australian Infantry Battalion (2)
- 36th Australian Infantry Battalion (2)
- 5th Australian Division (2)
- 5th Australian Infantry Battalion (2)
- 8th Field Company, Australian Engineers (2)
- Formation Headquarters (2)
- French Army (2)
- Signals (2)
- 13th Australian Training Battalion (1)
- 14th Australian Infantry Brigade (1)
- 24th Australian Infantry Battalion (1)
- 2nd Australian Infantry Battalion (1)
- 34th Australian Infantry Battalion (1)
- 3rd Australian Division (1)
- 3rd Squadron, Australian Flying Corps (1)
- 45th Australian Infantry Battalion (1)
- 50th Australian Infantry Battalion (1)
- 54th Australian Infantry Battalion (1)
- 56th Australian Infantry Battalion (1)
- 5th Australian Machine Gun Battalion (1)
- 5th Australian Pioneer Battalion (1)
- 9th Australian Machine Gun Company (1)
- 9th Field Company, Australian Engineers (1)
- Australian Army (1)
- Australian Imperial Force (1)
- Bands (1)
- British Army (1)
- Essendon Coburg Brunswick Regiment (1)
- HMAS Melbourne (1)
- New Zealand Forces (1)
- Unknown (7)
- Longstaff, Will (6)
- Goddard, Henry Arthur (4)
- Howie, Laurence (3)
- McInnis, Ronald Alison (2)
- Royal Mint (2)
- A Prous (1)
- Henderson, Leonard Alston (1)
- Henderson, Robert James (1)
- Hetherington, John Wesley (1)
- Hodgen, James (1)
- Kimber, Gilbert Vernon (1)
- Military contractor (1)
- Monash, John (1)
- Roach, Gilbert (1)
- Royal Arsenal Woolwich (1)
- Taylor, Charles Herbert (1)
- Thresher & Glenny (1)
- Turner, William Terry (1)
- Unknown Australian Official Photographer (1)
- Wendler (1)
An Australian soldier climbs on Mephisto, a German A7V tank which was disabled during an attack ...
PhotographAn Australian soldier climbs on Mephisto, a German A7V tank which was disabled during an attack on British units at Monument Wood, south of Villers-Bretonneux, on 24 April 1918. After being bogged an...
Boots : Sergeant A O Anderson, 21 Battalion, AIF
Maker: UnknownPair standard issue Australian army brown ankle boots without toe caps. The boots are laced with leather laces threaded through seven pairs of brass eyelets. The top of each tongue has been partially...
British War Medal 1914-20 : Private H Earey, 5 Battalion, AIF
Maker: UnknownBritish War Medal 1914-20. Impressed around edge with recipient's details.
ArtWatercolour sketch depicting the ruins of the church at Villers-Bretonneux with debris strewn across the ground and small sections, such as columns and archways, of the church left standing. James Fra...
28 cm SK L/40 'Amiens' Gun Barrel : German Army
Technology28 cmSK L/40 gun barrel. This particular example was one of four originally mounted in the SMS Hessen. The Hessen took part in the battle of Jutland, firing five rounds of 28 cm ammunition. After th...
Diary of Ronald Alison McInnis, 1916-1919
Maker: McInnis, Ronald AlisonDiary relating to the First World War service of 399 Lieutenant Ronald Alison McInnis, 53rd Battalion. Written between 19 June 1916 and the 12 March 1919, in this diary McInnis details his experiences...
Diary of Ronald Alison McInnis, 1917-1918
Maker: McInnis, Ronald AlisonDiary relating to the First World War service of 399 Lieutenant Ronald Alison McInnis, 53rd Battalion. Written between 10 November 1917 and 31 December 1918, this diary written in an address book, McI...
Distinguished Conduct Medal : Warrant Officer Class II F G Jurd, 5 Pioneer Battalion, AIF
Maker: Royal MintDistinguished Conduct Medal (Geo V). Impressed around edge with recipient's details.
[Dugouts near Villers-Bretonneux]; verso: [Covered trucks parked]
Maker: Longstaff, WillThe right hand panel of a panorama sketch for 'Dugouts near Villers-Bretonneux'. This painting depicts dugouts set in the side of earth works, a corrugated iron lean-to and two soldiers. Verso: three ...
Events of 1916 for 24th Company Army Service Corp, 9th Australian Machine Gun Company and 9th Field Company Australian Engineers complied by Henry Arthur Goddard
Maker: Goddard, Henry ArthurFolder of 9th Brigade Histories relating to the First World War service of Brigadier General Henry Arthur Goddard, 9th Brigade, Australian Imperial Force. The folder contains the dates of events for ...
French Army Cap with badges: 5th Battalion, 3rd Zouves, French Army
Maker: UnknownFrench Army Zouave cap (Khaki) with two badges, a half crescent moon and number three representing to the Zouaves, a light infantry regiment of the French Army.
German bugle, 1915 Model : 79 Infantry Regiment von Voigts-Rhetz (3rd Hannoversches), Imperial German Army
Maker: WendlerStandard B flat military bugle of soldered construction, with brass body and tubes and brass bell with nickle plated reinforcing band. There are a pair of suspension loops and plates soldered to the b...
Letters and postcard relating to James Hodgen, 1918-1978
Maker: Hodgen, JamesLetters and postcard relating to the First World War service of 250 Private James Hodgen, 14th Machine Gun Company (5th Machine Gun Battalion). Having been wounded in action around Villers-Bretonneux ...
Letters from John Wesley Hetherington to his Family, 1916-1918
Maker: Hetherington, John WesleyLetters relating to the service of 1003 Warrant Officer John Wesley Hetherington, 2nd Battalion. The letters were written by Warrant Officer Hetherington to his family between 23 January 1916 and 20 ...
Letters from Robert James Henderson, 1918
Maker: Henderson, Leonard Alston Henderson, Robert JamesLetters relating to the First World War service of Captain Robert James Henderson, 13th Battalion. These letters were predominantly written from Henderson to his family between 6 January and 21 April ...
Maxim MG08 Machine Gun : 46 Battalion, AIF
TechnologyMaxim MG08 heavy machine gun. This gun is missing the top cover, feed block, flash hider and the bolt mechanism but has an armoured top shield. Painted on the left side in white is 'Captured by the 46...
[Memorial cross to those who fell at Villers-Bretonneux]; verso: [Mending wire]
Maker: Longstaff, WillA sketch of a memorial cross erected 'In memory of the officers, NCOs & Men who fell in action hereabouts in a night-attack resulting in the recapture of Villers Bretonneux 24th & 25th April 1918 R...
Men of the 53rd Battalion of the 14th Infantry Brigade garrisoning a hurriedly dug reserve line ...
Maker: Unknown Australian Official PhotographerMen of the 53rd Battalion of the 14th Infantry Brigade garrisoning a hurriedly dug reserve line during the critical days at the end of March and beginning of April 1918, when the Germans were making p...
Military Medal : Private S J Heath, 19 Infantry Battalion, AIF
Maker: Royal MintMilitary Medal. Impressed around edge with recipient's details.
Monument Wood, Villers-Bretonneux from U 6 A 33 looking south east
Maker: Howie, LaurenceDepicts a landscape near Villers Bretonneux, with damaged trees and ground. Monument Wood was captured on 9 July by 50 men of the 28th Battalion AIF in a daylight raid upon the strongly fortified nort...