Filters (3 applied)Clear All
- related places : Oceania: New Guinea, Papua New Guinea (remove)
- has video : no (remove)
- has image : no (remove)
- First World War, 1914-1918 (2)
- Second World War, 1939-1945 (58)
- British Commonwealth Occupation Force, 1946-1952 (Japan) (1)
- Malayan Emergency, 1948-1960 (1)
- Korea, 1950-1953 (1)
- Vietnam, 1962-1975 (2)
- Australian Colonial Forces, 1854-1900 (1)
- Period 1900-1909 (1)
- Period 1910-1919 (2)
- Period 1920-1929 (2)
- Period 1930-1939 (2)
- Period 1940-1949 (5)
- Period 1950-1959 (2)
- Period 1960-1969 (2)
- Period 1970-1979 (1)
- Period 1980-1989 (1)
- Army organisation period 1912-1918 (not WWI) (1)
- Papua and New Guinea, 1947-1975 (1)
related units (78)
- Australian New Guinea Administrative Unit (13)
- Artillery units (3)
- Field regiments (3)
- RAAF repair and salvage units (3)
- Royal Australian Air Force (3)
- Australian Army (2)
- Lark Force (2)
- Montevideo Maru (2)
- 1 Australian General Hospital (1)
- 1 Papuan Infantry Battalion (1)
- 133 Brigade Workshop (1)
- 14 Brigade (1)
- 17 Brigade (1)
- 18 Brigade (1)
- 19 Training Battalion (1)
- 2/1 Australian General Hospital (1)
- 2/105 General Transport Company (1)
- 2/11th Australian Infantry Battalion (1)
- 2/17th Australian Infantry Battalion (1)
- 2/1st Field Regiment (1)
- 2/1st Machine Gun Battalion (1)
- 2/1st Pioneer Battalion (1)
- 2/2 Casualty Clearing Station (1)
- 2/2 Cavalry Commando Squadron (1)
- 2/33rd Australian Infantry Battalion (1)
- 2/3rd Independent Company (1)
- 2/6th Independent Company (1)
- 2/8th Australian Infantry Battalion (1)
- 2/9th Australian Infantry Battalion (1)
- 55/53rd Australian Infantry Battalion (1)
- 6 Australian Division (1)
- 67 Squadron RAAF (1)
- 7 Australian Division (1)
- 8 Field Ambulance (1)
- 9 Australian Division (1)
- 9 Division (1)
- 9th Field Regiment (1)
- Air Observer School, Cootamundra (1)
- Air navigation schools (1)
- Army vessels (1)
- Australian depot units of supply (1)
- Casualty clearing stations (1)
- Empire Air Training Scheme (1)
- Engineers Units (1)
- General Hospitals (1)
- HMAS Australia (1)
- HMAS Encounter (1)
- HMAS Melbourne (1)
- HMAS Sydney (1)
- Hospitals (1)
- Infantry Divisions (1)
- Initial training schools (RAAF) (1)
- No. 1 Operational Training Unit (1)
- No. 1 Squadron (1)
- No. 3 Squadron (1)
- No. 4 Squadron (1)
- No. 450 Squadron (1)
- No. 75 Squadron (1)
- No. 76 Squadron (1)
- No. 8 Squadron (1)
- No. 82 Squadron (1)
- Officer cadet training units (1)
- Pacific Island Regiment (1)
- Petrol supply units (1)
- RAAF bombing and gunnery schools (1)
- Reception units (1)
- Royal Australian Army Nursing Corps (1)
- Royal Australian Artillery (1)
- Royal Australian Electrical and Mechanical Engineers (1)
- Royal Australian Navy (1)
- Royal Papuan Constabulary (1)
- Salvage units (1)
- South West Pacific Area (1)
- Sydney University Regiment (1)
- United States Air Force (1)
- United States Army (1)
- Water transport units (1)
- Wireless units (1)
- Curtis, R Emerson (16)
- Unknown (5)
- Ashton, Richard (3)
- Piper, Lloyd (3)
- Dickson, Kevin Alexander (2)
- ABC Radio National (1)
- Allen, Thomas Taylor (1)
- Bassett, Jan (1)
- Browne, Jack (1)
- Carey, Noel Anthony (1)
- Carne, John Formby (1)
- Carter, M K (1)
- Cavanough, Thomas (1)
- Department of Veteran's Affairs (1)
- Dick, Robert James (1)
- Dyer, Stephen W (1)
- Fellows, T Howard (1)
- Felton, Lloyd Walter (1)
- Fogarty, William 'Bill' Lawrance (1)
- Fogarty, William Thomas (1)
- Grahamslaw, Thomas (1)
- Heysen, Nora (1)
- Hooper, Alan (1)
- Hopcraft, Margaret Fay (1)
- Little, Geoffrey Keith (1)
- MacPherson, Catherine Mary (1)
- Marchant, James Leslie (1)
- McCullough, Sharpe Jnr (1)
- Miller, Jack (1)
- Moen, Oluf (1)
- Pike, Andrew (1)
- Smith, Lloyd Hamilton (1)
- Thomson, William Henry (1)
- Tobin, Herbert Ernest Harold (1)
- Unkles, John (1)
- Various (1)
- Walker, Ralph Trafford (1)
- Williams, Clement (1)
- Winkle, Frederick John (1)
- Wootten, George Frederick (1)
Maker: Curtis, R EmersonPortrait of Abaya, from Daru, Western Papua with palm trees in background. Abaya worked for the Royal Papuan Constabulary. This portrait featured in R Curtis, 'Papuan Profiles: inside a Prison Yard', ...
Maker: UnknownA hewn slab of granite marks the memorial to members of 2/22 Battalion, in Queen Elizabeth II Park. The memorial was unveiled on 16 September 1993; an inscription on marble reads '2/22nd Batt Associat...
A large, roughly cut rock with a bronze plaque embedded, marks the 1942-1945 memorial to members ...
Maker: UnknownA large, roughly cut rock with a bronze plaque embedded, marks the 1942-1945 memorial to members of 2/22 Battalion. The memorial was unveiled on 16 September 1993. The battalion was sent to garrison R...
Maker: Allen, Thomas TaylorAn extensive collection of private papers, including message books, flying log book, passport, pay books, identity card, newspaper clipping, miscellaneous military papers, souvenirs, telegrams and let...
Maker: VariousCollection relating to Australian Army vessel AM18 'Airwave', Australia and New Guinea, February 1943 - March 1944. Collection consists of one log book written initially by Warrant Officer 1st Class ...
Maker: Pike, AndrewIn January 1942 Papua New Guinea became the battle ground for nearly 2 million foreign soldiers. This film documents the experiences of Papua New Guinea's indigenous population during this campaign. S...
ManuscriptTitle: `To Find a Path: The History of the PIR'. Brief history of the Pacific Islands Regiment from its inception in 1940 until 1968. It gives details of operations in which the PIR was involved, its ...
Maker: Carne, John FormbyCollection relating to the 2/2 Australian Casualty Clearing Station, 1993-1994. Wallet 1 of 1 - Wallet consists of the manuscript titled "2/2 Australian C.C.S. A Brief history and personal anecdotes ...
Australian Service Medal 1945-75 with 'JAPAN', 'PNG' and 'SW PACIFIC' clasps: Warrant Officer Class I L H W Andrew
Maker: UnknownAustralian Service Medal 1945-75 with 'JAPAN', 'PNG' and 'SW PACIFIC' clasps, engraved on reverse with recipient's details.
Maker: Curtis, R EmersonA portrait of a Boomerang Pilot in Papua New Guinea.
Maker: Curtis, R EmersonProfile portrait of a man from Amau, Central Papua New Guinea with decorative comb in hair. In 1942, Curtis was appointed Officer in Charge of Camouflage in New Guinea. As well as recording the activ...
Maker: Browne, JackHandwritten entries in very small bound "Hour Diary for 1942". Records major wartime events from 1940, rifle numbers, promotions, other personal information, Mortar Platoon activities and movements, r...
Maker: Carter, M KManuscript titled `A small ship's saga'. Carter has used his own and others' reminiscences to write an anecdotal history of WWII service on Australian Army small ships and in post war reconstruction w...
Maker: Cavanough, ThomasDiaries describing service in Australia, Great Britain, North Africa, Syria, Papua New Guinea and Borneo, written 1939-1945; a book of comments on many aspects of service particularly homefront, AIF-C...
Maker: Curtis, R EmersonPortrait of a man relaxing after work, seated on a rock with a palm tree in the background. In 1942, Curtis was appointed Officer in Charge of Camouflage in New Guinea. As well as recording the activ...
Maker: Unknown Department of Veteran's AffairsA poster produced by 'Australia Remembers 1945-1995' to commemorate Australia's involvement in the Papua New Guinea campaign during the Second World War. The main photograph is an iconic image of Serg...
Maker: Curtis, R EmersonA portrait of Corporal Ludlow known as 'Blue' on board the 'Nuginco' in Papua New Guinea.
Maker: Heysen, NoraArmy officers and uniformed nurses dancing in the Sisters' mess tent at Finschhafen, New Guinea. The tent is decorated with flowers and ferns, and a man is playing a piano at left.
TechnologyDH98 Mosquito PR 41 Reconnaissance aircraft finished in an overall silver post Second World War Royal Australian Air Force paint scheme. The aircraft is fitted with powerplant of two Packard-Merlin 6...
Maker: Dyer, Stephen W'A Thirty Course War: Airmen of the RAAF at War 1941-1945' deals with the story of airmen from enlistment, training, operational postings, operational flying in Australia and the Pacific theatres, bei...