Monday 19 July 2010 by Janice Farrer. No comments
Diary of an Anzac

Please note: Care has been taken to transcribe these entries without alteration to preserve the original language of Herbert Vincent Reynolds. 

A hand lettered warning sign reading 'unexploded shell' marks the spot where the 'dud' landed. A hand lettered warning sign reading 'unexploded shell' marks the spot where the 'dud' landed.

‘At about 9am one of our large biplanes flew over and dropped a bomb on the enemy lines, returning again at about 6pm it repeated the performance, then circled overhead for about an hour. At about 3pm a monitor, a light cruiser, a balloon ship and a new strange looking vessel steamed to positions between Cape Helles and Kaba Tepe, the balloon went up and the monitor and cruiser shelled the enemy positions behinds Kaba Tepe near the Olive Grove, the other vessel only fired one shell which exploded at the foot of the hill in front of our right flank. The new vessel has a large tripod mast and appears to have only one gun which is of very large calibre and is situated almost amidships, she is from all appearances a new type of monitor. The enemy have had a machine gun enfilading Brighton Beach all day, from a positions somewhere along the beach towards Kaba Tepe, it made the beach in the vicinity of the No2 A.S.C depot a place to be avoided, and we were forced to make a big detour through the sap from Shrapnel Gully to our camp in Victoria Gully instead of by the much shorter way along the beach. When collecting our rations from the depot, added to our ordinary daily supply, we had to collect 4 days supply of iron rations for the while unit, which is intended to be kept on hand in readiness for any emergency. While engaged on ration fatigue 3 large shells or bombs exploded in Shrapnel Gully almost simultaneously. A large shell fell in our camp this evening and failed to explode, with the result a party of 9 who were within 6 feet of where it entered the ground and left a large round hole, congratulated one another on their lucky escape on recovering from the fright they had received.’