The War on Malaria
There were grave fears for the strength of Australians fighting in the malaria prone regions of the Pacific during the Second World War. By June 1943, it was estimated 25,000 Australians in Papua and New Guinea had contracted malaria. Supplies of quinine, used to treat malaria since the First World War, and the synthetic drug atebrin were inadequate to meet demand. The Land Headquarters Medical Research Unit was quickly established in Cairns, Queensland where a specialist team of researchers trialled synthetic anti-malarial drugs. This exhibition of works on paper, paintings, sculpture and posters records the vital role played by the volunteers who took part in the experiments and the top secret research which assisted in combating malaria on the frontline.
See this exhibition which is currently on display in the Link Gallery at the Australian War Memorial.