AIF aerodrome near Bertangles
|Title||AIF aerodrome near Bertangles|
|Artist||Fullwood, A Henry|
|Place made||France: Picardie, Somme, Bertangles|
|Medium||watercolour and gouache with pencil and charcoal on paper|
|Measurement||sheet: 40 x 57.2 cm|
|On display||Anzac Hall: Over the Front: Aftermath Wall 01 (Area K)|
Depicts the AIF aerodrome near Bertangles, with field observation binoculars (tripod legs) in right foreground, several soldiers and pilots of the No 3 Squadron, aircraft in the aerodrome and sky ( the aircraft are RE8 (Reconnaissance Experimental)), and several petrol cans can be seen ready to refuel aircraft. The Bertangles aerodrome and airfield were part of No 3 Squadrons AFC site at Poulainville, where they were in support of Australian Corps headquarters. The Australian Flying Corps (AFC) was established in 1913 and the No. 3 Squadron arrived in France in September 1917. No. 3 Squadron (RE8s) was supporting the last phase of the Passchendale campaign in Flanders. Their main duty was spotting for the artillery but the bad weather during the winter months severely limited their opportunities. Australian airmen played a limited role in the great advance from Amiens on 8 August 1918. No. 3 squadron assisted the attack with reconnaissance work and by flying patrols to help identify the position of the advancing infantry.