Le Chateau Blanc, Headquarters of the 4th Division
Image copyright: © Australian War Memorial licensed copyright,
|Title||Le Chateau Blanc, Headquarters of the 4th Division|
|Date made||July 1916|
|Medium||watercolour Chinese white on paper|
|Measurement||backing sheet: 45.5 x 28.8 cm; image: 17.9 x 25.6 cm|
Watercolour on artist's paper attached to scrapbook leaf, depicting a large white house in Sailly-sur-la-Lys, Northern France, that was used during the war as the 4th Division Headquarters. Benson has pictured the house surrounded by trees and dense foliage in the foreground, which is in stark contrast to the whiteness of the house.