|Place||Oceania: New Guinea, Papua New Guinea, Morobe Province, Lae|
|Measurement||Overall: 45.7 x 40.46 cm|
|Physical description||oil on panel|
|Place made||New Guinea: Papua New Guinea, Morobe Province, Lae|
Second World War, 1939-1945
Item copyright: Copyright expired - public domain
This item is in the Public Domain
"Guinea Gold" on the press
The four-page printed newspaper 'Guinea Gold' was published daily, seven days a week with an American edition of 40,000 and an Australian of 20,000. It was first published on 19 November 1942 with 6,700 copies. Originally printed at Port Moresby, it later went to press in Lae, serving the South West Pacific area.
The composition shows the Miller press in the upper right-hand corner, on which the paper is in the process of being printed. To the left of it are the benches where sorting and wrapping are carried out and near them on the floor are sacks full of bundled papers ready for despatch. Immediately below the press is the composing stone where formes are being set up. In the foreground is a large guillotine where the cutter is cutting and stacking the paper for the next issue.
The personnel include: Corporal John Meade (VX35035) who is standing behind the printing press; Corporal Sidney William Charles Hacker (Q107591) standing centre back; Private Bruce Francis Lionel Brady (QX44827) at the composing stone; and Private Allan James Darbyshire (VX147617), standing in the foreground.