Wreckage at naval station Eleusis
|Title||Wreckage at naval station Eleusis|
|Medium||pencil on paper|
|Measurement||overall: 19.3 x 27.4 cm|
Eleusis is a village of great antiquity. Australian troops of the 6th Australian Division passed through here on their way to the evacuation beaches during the withdrawal of British forces in Greece in April 1941, although no actual embarkation took place at Eleusis. Later, German aircraft and gliders were concentrated here of the air-bourne invasion of Crete. The damage seen in the picture was caused by Allied bombing during the German occupation.