The Cathedral, Iraklion
|Title||The Cathedral, Iraklion|
|Maker||Dargie, William (Artist)|
|Place made||Greece: Crete, Heraklion|
|Medium||pencil on paper|
|Measurement||Overall: 17.8 x 20.3 cm|
The town Iraklion is described in the Official War History as Heraklion. Mount Ida can be seen in the distance. The 2/4th Australian Infantry Battalion, attached to the 14th British Brigade, formed part of the garrison of Heraklion, which was, after heavy aerial bombing, attacked by German parachutists on 20th May 1941. Heavy toll was taken or the attackers whilst still in the air. The garrison repelled all attacks until 29th May when it was evacuated from the bay by warships.