|Place||Europe: Greece, Crete|
|Measurement||overall: 35.2 x 50 cm; image: 33.2 x 48.4 cm|
|Physical description||linocut on paper; edition: 1/25|
|Place made||Australia: Australian Capital Territory, Canberra|
Second World War, 1939-1945
Item copyright: AWM Licensed copyright
The church of St George and a wounded Australian
The church of St George was used by the German’s as a safe house and position from which to attack the Allied soldiers. On 27 May in an attempt to take the Church and therefore destroy a threatening machine gun and observation post there were many Australian casualties.