Diary of Wilfrid Wanostrocht Giblin, 1914 - 1915

Accession Number AWM2017.6.302
Collection number 2DRL/1232
Collection type Digitised Collection
Record type File
Item count 1
Object type Digital file
Physical description 80 Image/s captured
Maker Giblin, Wilfrid Wanostrocht
Place made At sea, Ceylon, Egypt, Ottoman Empire: Turkey, Dardanelles, Gallipoli
Date made 1914-1915
Conflict First World War, 1914-1918
Copying Provisions Attached digital images and content are protected by copyright. They are reproduced here for research and study only. If you wish to use or quote from these images, please contact the Memorial’s Research Centre via info@awm.gov.au or 02 6243 4315.

Diary relating to the First World War service of Colonel Wilfrid Wanostrocht Giblin, Australian Army Medical Corps.

This file consists of an original diary written by Colonel Giblin between 2 November 1914 and 1 October 1915. In this diary, Giblin details his journey from Hobart to Melbourne where he embarks for Egypt aboard HMAT Kyarra on 5 December 1914.

From January 1915 to March 1915, Giblin writes of his daily experiences in Egypt including visiting patients at hospitals in Heliopolis and Mena, receiving instruction on the use of motor ambulances, and organising the movement of medical supplies. He also recounts the briefings at 1st Australian Division Heaquarters in which the plans for evacuating the wounded during the attack on Gallipoli Penninsula were discussed.

On 30 May 1915, Giblin recalls watching the Turkish assult offshore where members of the 1st Australian Clearing Hospital waited until it was safe to disembark. Gibiln writes, 'Directly after heavy firing could be heard, and we knew our lads were getting their first "baptism of fire."' He continues that the English surgeons were impressed by the Australians who "all came in more as if returning from a football match then from a battle. There was no complaining, no groaning, all keen to get back and have another go at the Turks."

A hand-drawn plan of the Australian Casualty Clearing Station that was used from 4 July 1915 to 18 October 1915 is also included in this collection.