|Place||Oceania: Australia, Victoria, Mornington Peninsula, Dromana|
|Physical description||Bullion thread, Cotton twill, Gilded brass, Russia braid, Superfine wool, Wool serge|
|Date made||c 1886|
Australian Colonial Forces, 1854-1900
Undress tunic : Lieutenant R Barker, Victorian Mounted Rifles
Fawn (drab) wool serge tunic with crimson superfine stand collar and cuffs. Collar has rounded fronts and is edged with 6mm gold Russia braid. Shoulder straps are of fawn serge, lined with khaki cotton twill and edged with gold Russia braid. Each strap has a single embroidered bullion star for the rank of lieutenant and a single gilt Victorian military forces button made by BOWLEY & Co. MELBOURNE, 1880 - 1893 pattern. The tunic has two 11cm darts radiating out from the lower edge of the collar towards the armhole. At the breast are slanted welt pockets, topstitched to resemble patch pockets. On each side of the tunic, long darts have been unstitched. The tunic is fastened with five gilt Victorian military forces buttons of the same period but maker unknown. The back of the tunic is plain, but shows evidence of having been folded to form an inverted pleat at the centre back below the waist. The sleeves are decorated with gold Russia braid Austrian knots above the crimson pointed cuffs, the braid extending around the top edge of the cuff. The cuffs are decorated with gold figured Russia braid. Although the tunic itself is unlined, the sleeves are lined with a grey striped white cotton damask and the collar with an olive cotton twill. The collar is fastened with a single brass hook and eye and an olive cotton neck tab. There is a coated fabric label on the inside of the collar with the name 'BARKER' handwritten in ink.
Undress tunic typical of the type worn when the Victorian Mounted Rifles were first raised in 1885. Lieutenant Richard Barker was commissioned as a volunteer officer on 16 April, 1886 serving with A Company of the Dromana detachment. He was transferred to the Unattached list on 27 August 1888 and retired from the Reserve of Officers on 28 February 1898. During the 1890s the tunics adopted the patch pockets with a buttoned flap and central box pleat.