Wrist watch: Staff Nurse A L Hunter, 3 Australian Auxiliary Hospital, AIF

Place Europe: United Kingdom, England, Kent, Dartford
Accession Number REL35756
Collection type Heraldry
Object type Heraldry
Physical description Cotton, Enamel, Metal
Maker Unknown
Date made c 1918
Conflict First World War, 1914-1918

Gold coloured wrist watch. The white enamelled dial bears gold painted numbers within black borders. Much of the gold paint is now missing. The watch face has some cracks, and a section of it face is missing between numbers 4 and 5. There is a second sub-dial in the six o'clock position. The finely plaited black wool band is made of two parallel straps on each side of the watch face, joined with a gold clasp. The back of the watch is engraved 'From Flying Twenty Dartford 16.2.18'.

History / Summary

Associated with the service of Staff Nurse Anne Laycock Hunter, born in Sydney in 1880 to William Walton and Anne Hunter. She trained at the Coast Hospital, Little Bay, Sydney (now Prince Henry Hospital) for three years. Hunter enlisted in the Australian Army Nursing Service in January 1915, joining the reinforcements for 1 and 2 General Hospitals in March. She embarked from Sydney on 13 April 1915 aboard HMAT Kyarra and served in Egypt until March 1916 when she was sent to the Western Front where she served in hospitals at Rouen. Hunter was invalided to Australia in October 1916 on the Hospital Ship Karoola. After a few months back in Australia she left to return to England on 24 January 1917. In 1917 and 1918 Hunter served in the following hospitals: 3 Australian Auxiliary Hospital at Dartford, which treated patients with psycho neuroses and mental disorders, such as shell shock; 2 Australian Auxiliary Hospital at Southall, which treated amputees; and 1 Australian Auxiliary Hospital, which became an ear, nose and throat centre and included specialist cases, such as blinded men, and men needing physiotherapy or specialist surgery. On 2 June 1919 Hunter embarked for return to Australia. Anne Laycock James (nee Hunter) died in 1962.