Pack of Wratten Colour Filters : Staff Sergeant A D Whitling, 1 Australian Auxiliary Hospital, AIF

Accession Number REL41982
Collection type Technology
Object type Optical equipment
Physical description Gelatine, Paper
Maker Kodak AG
Kodak Ltd London
Place made United Kingdom: England, Greater London, London
Date made c 1920
Conflict First World War, 1914-1918

Rectangular paper envelope with the following printed on front: 'Wratten Colour Filter (Gelatine). Series no: Set Tricolour; Size: 8 inches; Reference: SP 104136'. Also lists directions for use, and the comment: 'Each box of Wrattens 'Allochrome' Plates contain a card giving multiplying factors for K1 and K2 filters, and another for the Tricolour (A,B,C), K1, K2, K3, E and G filters.' Contents are sheets of red and green gelatine.

History / Summary

Kodak Autochrome colour filters used by 14529 Arthur Dumas Whitling, born 1876 at Parramatta, NSW, a civil servant who was 38 years old when he enlisted on 13 July 1915. Assigned to the Australian Army Medical Corps, Whitling was promoted to Corporal the day after his enlistment and Lance Sergeant (Clerk) on 12 August 1915. He joined the Australian Convalescent Depot departing from Sydney aboard HMAT Orsova on 14 July 1915.

Although Whitling was promoted to Staff Sergeant on 7 September 1915 and to Warrant Officer Class 1 on 1 March 1916, these appointments were never confirmed, resulting in Whitling's rank and dates of promotion becoming the subject of an internal AIF investigation. The result, in late 1919, was confirmation of his rank as Staff Sergeant but not a Warrant Officer. Whitling had a few things to say about this, and in his correspondence states 'As showing the muddle the records in my case were, I may instance the fact that whilst I held the position of Chief Clerk at the No 1 Australian Aux Hospital, Harefield Park, England, the OC Records London wrote for particulars, regarding me "as we have no trace of this man on record". That was strange, as I was one of the original members of the London Staff and had been paid at Headquarters for over a year!!'

'I subsequently had to reattest, notwithstanding that I personally handed over the attestation papers of myself & others on or arrival in London over a year previously.' A letter from Victoria Barracks written in 1921, querying Whitling's eligibility for the Victory Medal, notes: 'Whitling states that he enlisted specifically under Lieutenant Colonel Flashman, AAMC, on 5 July 1915, and embarked on Special Service.'

Whitling disembarked in London on 12 August 1915 and was taken on strength of Admin HQ, Medical Section at AIF Headquarters, Horseferry Road, London before being transferred to 1 Australian Auxiliary Hospital, Harefield on 25 August 1916. In accordance with the mess his records were in, Staff Sergeant Whitling wasn't allotted a regimental number until 17 January 1917. On 4 March 1918 Whitling was admitted to 1 Auxiliary Hospital with a medical condition which resulted in him being discharged from service with a 'debility'. He embarked from England board the Hospital Ship Kanowna for return to Australia, and was discharged on 26 June 1918, upon his return. He married Brenda on 16 September 1919 and died in 1973.

Arthur Whitling appears to have purchased this Verascope stereoscopic camera by 1911 at the latest, and used it well into the post Second World War period. He was an active member of the NSW Photographic Society until his death. Stereoscopic images acquired with the camera record such events as the visit of the American 'Great White Fleet' in August 1908, Sydney University's Commemoration Day of 1910, the SS 'Canonbar' aground near Lismore in 1911, embarkation images, views of Egypt and England from 1915 to 1918, views of Gallipoli and Anzac Cove, including the May 1915 Armistice to bury the Turkish dead, the Prince of Wales' visit to Australia, 1920 and Bradman at the 5th Test Match, SCG, 1933. A range of Autochromes also indicate that Whitling was an early and enthusiastic user of this colour system.

The Verascope was developed by the firm of Richard Freres (Richard Brothers) of Paris. Jules Richard (19 December 1848 - 18 June 1930) took over management of his father's camera business in 1871, and operated it with his brother. The Verascope, in its unique 45 x 107 mm format, entered the market early in the 1900s and was updated with a 35 mm version in 1913. Richard Freres released their own range of stereoscopic views of the Western Front and damage to French towns and villages in a series running to several thousand images.