Egan, John Joseph (Flying Officer, b.1923)

Accession Number PR04707
Collection type Private Record
Record type Collection
Measurement 1 wallet: 1cm
Object type Log book
Maker Egan, John Joseph
Date made 1942-1945
Access Open
Conflict Second World War, 1939-1945
Copying Provisions Copying permitted subject to physical condition

"Observer's, Air Gunner's and W/T Operator's Flying Log Book" related to the Second World War service of 422468 Flying Officer John Joseph Egan 460 Squadron. Entries date from 1942 to 1945.

History / Summary

John Joseph Egan was born in Glebe on 39 October 1923. He became a fitter and turner, and had qualifications in fire fighting. He first joined the RAAF reserve on 26 November 1941, and then enlisted in the RAAF on 22 May 1942. Firstly he attended No. 2 Initial Training School in Sydney, followed by No. 2 Wireless Air Gunners School in Ballarat from July until November 1942. He was trained as an Air Gunner at No.2 Bombing and Gunnery School in Port Pirie, South Australia, in November 1942. In January 1943 he embarked for the UK, arriving early March. He undertook further training on Wellington aircraft at 27 Operational Training Unit, Lichfield, from March to June. This was followed by Lancaster training at 1656 Training Unit.
From 1 August 1943 he was posted to 460 Sqn at Binbrook where he flew Lancasters. He then transferred to 626 Sqn at Wickenby for three months, November 1943 to February 1944. Egan was promoted to Pilot Officer on 13 March 1944. He returned to 460 Sqn in May that year, and was further promoted to Flying Officer on 23 September 1944. Egan's citation for the award of DFC was gazetted in November 1944, and it reads 'Pilot Officer Egan has completed numerous operations against the enemy, in the course of which he has invariably displayed utmost fortitude, courage and devotion to duty.'
On 10 November 1944 he was transferred out of 460 Squadron, in readiness for repatriation to Australia. Egan embarked at Liverpool on 16 January 1945, disembarking in Australia on 21 February. He was transferred to 2 Personnel Depot, and was discharged on 21 January 1946.