Tamuang (Tamuan), Thailand. c. 1943. The cookhouse at Tamuang prisoner of war (POW) camp. The earthenware fireplaces which can be seen under the roofline, housed the large steel kwalis (woks) used ...

Accession Number P01433.014
Collection type Photograph
Title Tamuang (Tamuan), Thailand. c. 1943. The cookhouse at Tamuang prisoner of war (POW) camp. The earthenware fireplaces which can be seen under the roofline, housed the large steel kwalis (woks) used ...
Object types Black & white - Film copy negative
Copyright Copyright expired - public domain

Tamuang (Tamuan), Thailand. c. 1943. The cookhouse at Tamuang prisoner of war (POW) camp. The earthenware fireplaces which can be seen under the roofline, housed the large steel kwalis (woks) used for cooking rice. One of these kwalis can be seen on the ground just outside the huts. Tamuang camp was located thirty nine kilometres north of Nong Pladuk (also known as Non Pladuk), eleven kilometres south of Kanchanaburi, or 375 kilometres south of Thanbyuzayat. Tamuang served as a transit camp and hospital for POWs during the 1943 to 1945 period. Following the Japanese surrender, it became a temporary holding camp for Australian, British, Dutch and American recovered POW, who had been engaged in railway maintenance or the construction of Japanese defence positions in various locations in Burma or Thailand. Another recovered group had been part of the Wampo-Tavoy road construction work force. This group of 400 had been despatched from Tamuang in December 1944. Their work load was extremely demanding under very poor conditions. They suffered a thirteen per cent death rate. (Donor B. Theobald)