First World War, 1914-1918
Commission Model 88 Rifle
Commission Model Gew 88 bolt action Mauser rifle with a fixed five round box Mannlicher magazine. The action is marked with LOEWE BERLIN 1890 on the breech ring and GEW 88 on the left side. It has a one piece wooden stock, a central sling swivel barrel band and a steel end cap that incorporates a bayonet lug on the right side. The muzzle is turned down to a smaller diameter to the barrel. The central band is stamped 7R.E.3.199. It is complete with a cleaning rod, magazine cover plate and butt sling swivel clip. The rear sight has been calibrated in Arabic numerals.
This rifle is one of a batch declared obsolete by the Germans and transferred to the Turkish Government at the beginning of the First World War. The markings on the central band indicate that originally it was issued to the German 7th Infantry Regiment, No 3 Company Ersatz Battalion.