Image copyright: Copyright expired - public domain
Public Domain Mark This image is in the Public Domain

ID number P10822.001
Collection Photograph
Object type Black & white - Digital file TIFF
Maker Unknown (Photographer)
Place made Egypt
Date made c 1916


Studio portrait of a group of four servicemen. Identified seated on the far left is Lieutenant (Lt) Derwas Goring Charles Cumming and on the far right is his brother, Lt Redmond Harry Owen Cumming. Derwas Cumming was a 23 year old farmer from Doodlakine, Western Australia prior to enlisting on 23 September 1914. He embarked for overseas as a Driver (service number 3087) with No 4 Section, Divisional Ammunition Column from Fremantle, Western Australia on 2 November 1914 aboard HMAT Medic (A7). After spending some time in Egypt, he transferred to the 16th Battalion and served with them at Gallipoli in November/December 1915. He was promoted to Corporal on 24 November and to Sergeant on 24 December 1915. After arriving back in Egypt, he was promoted to Second Lieutenant in March and proceeded to France in June 1916. While serving in France, he was wounded in action at Pozieres on 6 August 1916 and evacuated to England for medical treatment. Further promotions followed to Lieutenant on 1 October 1916 and to Captain on 8 April 1917. He was awarded a Military Cross for conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty in that during an attack he handled two companies with great ability and was greatly responsible for the final success. After transferring to the 48th Battalion in November 1917, he was killed by a machine gun whilst leading his company in the attack on Monument Wood. He was posthumously awarded a bar to his Military Cross. Although initially buried near where he fell, his grave could not be located after the war and he is commemorated on the Australian National Memorial at Villers-Bretonneux, France with others who have no known grave. Redmond Cumming was a 30 year old farmer from Subiaco, Western Australia prior to enlisting on 22 September 1914. He embarked for overseas as a Lance Corporal (service number 337) with D Company, 16th Battalion from Melbourne on 22 December 1914 aboard HMAT Ceramic (A40). While serving at Gallipoli he was promoted to Second Lieutenant and was then taken ill and evacuated to Malta. He returned to Gallipoli where he was taken ill again and evacuated to Egypt. On 20 January 1916 he was promoted to Lieutenant and embarked for France in June 1916. He was reported wounded and missing in action on 11 April 1917 but later confirmed to have been captured at Reincourt, France and held as a prisoner of war in Germany for the remainder of the war. After being promoted to Captain on 15 August 1918, he arrived back in England on 1 January 1919 and then returned to Australia on 16 May 1919.