Image copyright: Commonwealth of Australia copyright,
|Object type||Black & white - Digital file TIFF|
|Place made||Australia: Australian Capital Territory|
|Date made||23 January 1961|
Belconnen Transmitter Station was an outstation of the receiving station HMAS Harman, it was located in the vicinity of Ginninderra Creek, Belconnen. It was more commonly known as 'Bells'. Together these stations formed the most powerful naval wireless base in the British empire and the largest naval or commercial station in the southern hemisphere. 'Bells' made its first operational transmission on 22 December 1939 and for the duration of the Second World War communicated with merchant and fleet shipping around the world. It continued to operate as a naval transmitting station after the war and was only decommissioned in 2005.