|Collection type||Private Record|
|Title||Syme, Hugh Randall, GC, GM and Bar (Lieutenant|
|Measurement||1 wallet: 2.5 cm; plus 5 oversized folios|
|Maker||Syme, Hugh Randall|
Syme, Hugh Randall, GC, GM and Bar (Lieutenant
Collection relating to the Second World War service of Lieutenant Hugh Randall Syme, RANVR who was awarded the George Cross and George Medal and Bar for a string of successful mine recoveries. Collections consists of:
1. Documents relating to Syme being given permission to join the RANVR;
2. Various certificates and related documentation;
3. Documents relating to Syme's discharge;
4. Documents relating to Syme's George Cross;
5. Documents and two photographs relating to Syme's appointment to the RAN contingent for Queen Elizabeth's coronation in 1953;
6. Six diagrams of various mines and components;
7. A news clipping about Syme and Mould titled "What happened to the heroes", and a few handwritten notes by Syme for Ivan Southall's book "Softly Tread the Brave"
8. Miscellaneous material including: diving signals; an empty envelope; letter and envelope to Syme regarding some photographs, 1958; a poem; a list on Athenaeum Club paper (undated); HMS Vernon Christmas card (undated); a membership card for the New Yorker Bar Club, London; and a membership card for the Liaison Club, London;
9. Oversize material consisting of four diagrams of mines and a certificate.
See also AWM254 items 236 and 237 for official mine reports.