Diary of Geoffrey Gordon McCrae, 1915 (Vol. 1)

Accession Number RCDIG0001242
Collection number 1DRL/0427
Collection type Digitised Collection
Record type File
Item count 1
Object type Diary
Physical description 32 Image/s captured
Maker McCrae, Geoffrey Gordon
Place made At sea, Egypt, Greece: Aegean Islands, Lemnos, Ottoman Empire: Turkey, Dardanelles, Gallipoli
Date made 1915; Unknown
Conflict First World War, 1914-1918
Copying Provisions Attached digital images are protected by copyright and are provided here for research and study purposes. For further use, please contact the Memorial.

Diary relating to the First World War service of Major Geoffrey Gordon McCrae, 7th Battalion. This is a handwritten transcription made by McCrae’s father at some stage before the transcription was donated in 1927. The location of the original diary is unknown. This is the first of a two part volume and covers the period between 2 February 1915 and 14 June 1915.

The first part of the diary covers life at Mena Camp in Egypt in February 1915 and details a captured English officer serving with the Turkish. Also included are replications of sketches made by McCrae that depict a map of the Sinai and the camp at Mena at the foot of the pyramids.

The second part of the diary details McCrae’s deployment to and service at Gallipoli during the period April to June 1915. This section covers: his departure from Alexandria for Gallipoli ; preparations and staging at the island of Lemnos; details of the landing on 25 April 1915 and its progress; his experiences aboard the hospital ship “Mashoubra” for several weeks after the landing; the evacuation of wounded from the landing to Alexandria; his attachment to the “Mashoubra”; his return to his battalion on the peninsula; his evacuation to Lemnos on the “Seang Choon” due to a bullet wound to the upper left arm; the collision between the “Pheobus” and a French destroyer whilst he was aboard; his return to Gallipoli in mid-June. It is in this section that his father notes that the original diary was burnt but recovered and sent to him which he then transcribed.