Dingo Scout Car
|Title||Dingo Scout Car|
|Place made||Australia: Victoria|
|Date made||c September 1942|
|On display||Main building: World War 2 Gallery: Gallery 1 - Mediterranean|
Dingo Scout Car: Cars, Scout (Aust.), Army registration number 77160. The chassis of the Dingo is that of a Ford lorry which has been modified and fitted with a Marmon-Herrington all-wheel drive kit. The wheelbase of the modified chassis has been reduced from 340 to 297 centimetres, and is fitted with a leaf spring suspension system. The wheels of the Dingo are two piece rims. The tyres are designed to operate in a deflated state for a short period of time if damaged.
The upper body of the Dingo is constructed from flat panels of ABP3 armour plate which have been welded together. The crew compartment is separated from the engine at the front, and the fuel tanks at the rear, by bulkheads. The vehicle is accessed by a door in the left side which has an internal locking handle and is opened from the outside by a square key that fits the door latch. Above the door is a vision slit which has an armoured cover which is opened and closed from the inside the vehicle. An identical vision slit is located on the right side of the vehicle. There are two forward observation shutters for the driver and crewman, that can be locked open or closed. When in the closed position the vision slits in the shutters are backed by bullet-proof glass.
The 'Car, Scout (Aust) Dingo' arose out of a requirement in early 1941 to equip the Australian Army with a scout car which was locally built, as procurement from overseas was unlikely during the early stages of the Second World War. The design incorporated commercially available components, together with a locally produced all-welded Australian Bullet Proof (ABP) 3 armour plated hull.