Efficiency Decoration : Lieutenant Colonel C F Robinson, AAMC

Unit Australian Army Medical Corps
Place Oceania: Australia
Accession Number REL38034.004
Collection type Heraldry
Object type Medal
Physical description Silver, Silver gilt
Maker Unknown
Place made United Kingdom
Date made c 1922
Conflict Period 1920-1929
First World War, 1914-1918

Efficiency Decoration (Geo V) with bar 'AUSTRALIA'. Engraved reverse with recipient's details.

History / Summary

Associated with the service of Captain Clive Frederick Robinson. Robinson was born in Burwood, New South Wales on 3 April 1894 and educated at Fort Street, Riverview and Sydney Grammar School. He studied medicine at Sydney University for five years, graduating in 1915. He worked at Royal Prince Alfred Hospital for two months, before enlisting in the Australian Army Medical Corps as a Medical Officer on 22 October 1915. On 23 December Captain Robinson embarked for active service aboard HMAT Suevic.

Arriving in Egypt, Robinson was attached to the 1st Auxiliary Hospital, Heliopolis. On 1 February 1916 was he attached to the 3rd Field Ambulance, Tel-el-Kebir. Robinson transferred to the 15th Field Artillery Brigade (FAB) on 29 February and embarked for France on 17 June, arriving in Marseilles a week later. Robinson served with 15 FAB until 27 January 1917 when he was transferred to 14 FAB. Robinson was mentioned in Sir Douglas Haig's despatch of 7 November 'for distinguished and gallant service and devotion to duty in the field during the period of 26 February - 20 September 1917'.

On 18 January 1918 Robinson was awarded the Military Cross 'for conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. On hearing while with another battery that two batteries 500 yards away were being heavily shelled with gas, shrapnel and high explosive shells, and many casualties were occurring he at once went there, and in spite of the intensity of the shelling, remained for an hour and a half attending to the wounded.' Robinson was posted to the 3rd Australian General Hospital (AGH) at Abbeville on 18 June 1918, where he was later admitted, on 30 October, for Otitis Media - the inflammation of the middle ear. Robinson was discharged from hospital on 6 November. On 11 November, the last day of the war, Robinson was promoted to major and transferred to England.

Robinson reported for duty to the Australian Flying Corps Hospital, Tetbury on 16 December where he worked until 18 March 1919, when he was granted extended leave with pay until 24 October. On 25 October Robinson embarked for Australia aboard HMAT Orontes, where he remained on duty as a Medical Officer. He disembarked at Melbourne on 6 December, before travelling on to Sydney. and his appointment in the AIF was terminated in Sydney on 27 February 1920.

After the war Robinson continued to practice medicine first as a GP then as a dermatologist. He eventually became senior dermatologist and consultant at Royal Prince Alfred, Marrickville and Ryde Hospitals. In 1947 he initiated the first patch test clinic for contact dermatitis in Australia. Robinson was the President of the Dermatological Association of Australia in 1956 and made a Life Member of the American Academy of Dermatology in 1981. Clive Frederick Robinson passed away on 18 July 1985.