Mk IV Female Tank
|Title||Mk IV Female Tank|
|Place made||United Kingdom: Scotland, Glasgow|
Mk IV 'Female' Tank. A First World War British armoured fighting vehicle, weighing 28 tonnes, and carrying a crew of 8 - driver, commander, two gearsmen, and four machine gunners. Manufactured by the Coventry Ordnance Works, the tank has a distinctive rhombodial shape with a large sponson on each side. The sponsons are each fitted with two light machine gun ports in gimbals. The tank is constructed from riveted armour plate and is powered by a 105 hp Daimler 6 cylinder petrol engine, which is centrally mounted between the sponsons. The vehicle's tracks are fabricated from metal and travel over the entire length of the vehicle. The front glacis of tank has a single light machine gun port. On the side of the tank towards the rear is stencilled in white paint the manufacturer's indentification number 4643. The tank is painted with an overall matt brown-green colour, based on paint survivals of the original finish found on the vehicle. The interior of the tank is painted white.
In June 1918 this newly manufactured Mark IV Female tank arrived in Australia, from Glasgow. The tank was used as a propaganda tool and toured to raise money for the war effort. The tank's crew was made up of eight men of the Permanent Military Forces, all formally of the Australian Imperial Force, led by Captain N L Brown. In mid September 1918 the tank featured in War Loan rallies in Adelaide, South Australia. There, a competition was held to name the tank and on Saturday 14 September it was christened 'Grit' by Lady Galway.