Serge frock : Sergeant G Hardwick, Kennedy Regiment, Queensland Defence Forces
|Title||Serge frock : Sergeant G Hardwick, Kennedy Regiment, Queensland Defence Forces|
|Date made||c 1890-1898|
Pattern 1890-1898 scarlet wool serge frock with blue superfine stand collar and pointed cuffs. Lower edge of collar trimmed with flat white worsted braid. At each edge of the collar are 1903 pattern brass voided collar badges depicting crossed boomerangs encircled by the words 'KENNEDY REGIMENT QUEENSLANDERS' and a wreath surmounted by the King's crown. Badges attached with brass split pins. Tapered scarlet serge shoulder straps are edged with white worsted braid and each bearing a small brass Queensland Defence Forces button toward the neck. At the wider shoulder edge, a separate square of scarlet wool embroidered in a semi circle with 'KENNEDY' in white cotton, has been stitched over the serge strap. Pointed blue cuffs traced with white worsted braid form an Austrian knot at the point. Above the elbow of the right sleeve are three inverted gold lace chevrons on a scarlet ground for the rank of sergeant. Frock has five large brass Queensland Defence Forces buttons at the front made by 'HOBSON & SONS LEXINGTON ST LONDON' and slightly rounded front. Back of frock has three panels and vents at each side seam with brass belt hooks at each side waist. Frock is unlined; collar faced with scarlet wool serge. Large internal linen pocket at left breast and frock side seams reinforced with linen. At the inside collar edges are traces of black patent, probably from a neck tab. Neck edge has two ferrous metal eyes but no corresponding hooks.
Worn by Sergeant George Hardwick, 1st Kennedy Regiment, during the 1890s and early 1900s. He is believed to have worn this uniform as part of an escort to the Duke and Duchess of York during their visit to Brisbane in May 1901. In September 1890 a new pattern scarlet serge frock was introduced in Queensland with five buttons at the front. Previously the Royal West Surrey pattern frock used in the colony had seven buttons. Between 1881 and 1893 volunteer infantry companies were formed at Charters Towers, Townsville and Ravenswood. By 1893 they had evolved into the 3rd Queensland (Kennedy) Regiment and consisted of volunteer companies and partially paid militia.