Employment: Advice to referees
Would you please comment on the applicant in terms of the attached selection criteria, and rate the applicant against each criterion using the rating scale provided below. Your comments and rating should be based on the applicant's likely capability for the position in question, having regard to their work experience while under your supervision.
Comments must be objective, and also include specific examples to emphasise and illustrate the applicant's abilities, knowledge, experience and personal qualities in relation to the criteria. Additional comments can be used to emphasis any strengths and weaknesses. In some cases the Selection Advisory Committee (SAC) may contact you for further discussion and clarification of your comments.
Rating Description Indicators of performance A
The applicant possesses exceptionally well developed and relevant skills and abilities, and the appropriate personal qualities in relation to this criterion, and their performance is outstanding.
(To be used only in cases where exceptional skills have been demonstrated against this criterion).
Is able to perform at high level without direct supervision for one or more of the following reasons:
- excellent job knowledge;
- exceptionally reliable;
- considerable demonstrated ability in problem solving and the application of change;
- appears to instinctively and effectively deal with all matters relating to the position.
Fully competentThe applicant possesses highly developed and relevant skills and abilities, and would perform consistently well against this criterion.
Would require little supervision to achieve good results, for one or more of the following reasons:
- would be reliable and responsible;
- well developed (sound) job knowledge;
- would be able to suggest and initiate improvements;
- would be well able to deal with all of the routine and most of the complex matters relating to the position.
CompetentThe applicant possesses relevant skills, abilities and personal qualities and would be generally effective against this criterion.
Would require routine supervision to perform at an acceptable level for one or more of the following reasons:
- reasonable/good job knowledge;
- makes few errors;
- generally reliable;
- would require guidance for more complex situations;
- could carry responsibility but would not seek it;
- could deal with all routine matters involving the position.
The applicant possesses some skills, abilities and personal qualities relevant to the criterion, but is limited on others.
S/he would be able to temporarily perform the duties of the position with close supervision, but would require further training and development to meet the standard required against this criterion.
Would require close supervision to perform at an acceptable level for one or more of the following reasons:
- only basic/general job knowledge;
- could follow directions but would require frequent checking/follow-up;
- could deal with most routine matters involving the position;
- inconsistency with work performance.
Unsatisfactory (Below Standard)The applicant is unable to demonstrate that s/he possesses the adequate skills, abilities and personal qualities in relation to the criterion.
S/he would not be suitable to perform the duties of the position relevant to this criterion, even on a temporary basis.
Would be unable to perform the duties and would require constant supervision for one or more of the following reasons:
- limited job knowledge;
- makes frequent errors;
- poor work output;
- would have difficulty carrying responsibility or solving problems;
- would have difficulty dealing with routine matters involving the position.
Not assessedUnable to comment as to whether the applicant meets the selection criterion.
Please download the Referee Report, which is designed for use by referees and SACs when interviewing referees by phone or in a face-to-face situation. It is designed so that referee comments can easily be compared and are kept brief enough for SACs to find useful. Note: Chairpersons will advise applicants if written referee reports are required at interview.