Big things in store 2015
There are no upcoming dates for this event.
Nestled within the industrial suburb of Mitchell is an enormous purpose-built warehouse. Within its walls are some of Australia’s national treasures.
The Treloar Technology Centre is the Australian War Memorial’s conservation facility and storage hub. Its doors are rarely opened to the public, but on Saturday 5 September Big things in store, will allow visitors inside to uncover its secrets, which include a vast array of aircraft, rockets, vehicles, tanks, artillery, and equipment used by – or against – Australians in war for over a century.
Big things in store is a unique opportunity for the whole family to experience one of the world’s greatest military collections.
Entry is by donation, with proceeds going to support the work of the Australian War Memorial.
- Gates open to the public from 9 am to 3 pm
- Last entry is at 2.30 pm
Treloar Technology Centre, 8 Callan St, Mitchell ACT (view on Google Maps)
We recommend you use public transport.
Public transport and shuttle buses
- How to take Action to Big things in store
- Route 950
- Route 956
- Route 958
- A Park & Ride facility is also available on Flemington Rd at Exhibition Park and one at Gungahlin Marketplace for patrons to catch these bus services.
- The shuttle will cover all bus stops on the map and will be doing loops every 15 minutes (approximately) from 0900-1500.
- The Shuttle will have mobility impaired access.
- Shuttle service is free and will drop you at the gate.
- Bus stops are close to public car parks as well so public are welcome to park and then get on the shuttle at any bus stop highlighted.
- Map of shuttle bus services in Mitchell on 5 September 2015 (56.65 KB)
- Parking close to Treloar Technology Centre is extremely limited; we recommend you use public transport (ACTION buses)
- All parking is at your own risk.
- Part of Callan Street will be closed near the centre.
- Local businesses in the area will be open and operating their standard Saturday trading hours during Big things in store. To minimise disruption and inconvenience to them we recommend that you use public transport.
Friends of the Memorial
- Friends of the Memorial are entitled to VIP express entry.
- Bring your membership card on the day and show it at the door to receive priority access.
Tips for visitors
For reasons of visitor safety numbers allowed inside the warehouse will be limited. Large crowds are expected and there may be a wait to get in. The Memorial appreciates your understanding in this regard.
- Entry is by donation.
- Please bring your camera; tripods and 'selfie sticks' are not permitted.
The Treloar Technology Centre is both a workshop and an environmentally controlled storage facility. All visitors must conform to a number of conditions once inside the building to ensure both their safety and that of the objects under our care.
- Closed, flat footwear is recommended.
- No eating, drinking or smoking within the buildings (bottled water is permitted).
- Large bags and overcoats are not allowed in the building without specific approval from Memorial staff.
- Follow the marked path around the collection; there are a number of sharp, dirty, or fragile items on floor pallets around the building.
- Do not touch objects within the building. Although the objects were robustly designed for military conditions, they are now preserved for the nation in a museum environment and must be treated appropriately. Oily and acidic residues from the skin can damage the surface of the object.