Federal funding leads to acquisition of rare First World War portraits

Wednesday 24 June 2015

A grant of $100,000 from the Commonwealth Government has seen the Australian War Memorial expand its world-class art collection with the acquisition of a collection of rare portraits from the First World War.

The Minister for the Arts, the Hon. George Brandis QC, today announced the funding from the National Cultural Heritage Account to the Australian War Memorial for the purchase of a collection of nine portraits of First World War soldiers by Hilda Rix Nicholas (1894-1961).

Read on

National search for Official Historian begins

Thursday 18 June 2015

The Australian War Memorial is calling for expressions of interest from qualified historians for the position of Official Historian to the Australian Operations in Iraq, Afghanistan and Peacekeeping operations in East Timor.

This project is the result of Federal Government Budget funding of $12.8 million to produce these Official Histories.  The research, compilation and drafting of the Official Histories are expected to take six years and will be undertaken through the Australian War Memorial.

Read on

Commemorative First World War tapestry unveiled at the Australian War Memorial

Friday 1 May 2015

The Australian War Memorial has unveiled a significant new First World War commemorative tapestry commission based on a painting by internationally renowned Australian artist Imants Tillers (b. 1950).

The tapestry, titled Avenue of Remembrance, was commissioned in 2014 by the Memorial through the Australian Tapestry Workshop and made possible through a generous donation from the Geoff and Helen Handbury Foundation.

Read on

Massive crowd for Anzac Day 2015 National Ceremony

Saturday 25 April 2015

Dr Brendan Nelson, Director of the Australian War Memorial, says he’s delighted with the record attendance figures for Anzac Day after more than 31,000 people attended the National Ceremony and veterans’ march at the Memorial today.

The National Ceremony attendance brings crowds at the 100th anniversary of the Gallipoli landing to a massive 151,000 at both ceremonies – an increase of 88,500 on last year’s attendance.

Read on

Australians rally to Anzac Day 2015 Dawn Service

Saturday 25 April 2015

An estimated record 120,000 visitors flocked to the Australian War Memorial today for the Anzac Day Dawn Service – an increase of more than 80,000 on last year.

Dr Brendan Nelson, Director of the Australian War Memorial, said he’s proud of this year’s Dawn Service attendance.

“It fills me with pride that so many people have come to commemorate Anzac Day, on this most significant national occasion, at the Australian War Memorial,” Dr Nelson said.

Read on

Pages