Australians rally to Anzac Day 2015 Dawn Service

Saturday 25 April 2015

An estimated record 120,000 visitors flocked to the Australian War Memorial today for the Anzac Day Dawn Service – an increase of more than 80,000 on last year.

Dr Brendan Nelson, Director of the Australian War Memorial, said he’s proud of this year’s Dawn Service attendance.

“It fills me with pride that so many people have come to commemorate Anzac Day, on this most significant national occasion, at the Australian War Memorial,” Dr Nelson said.

Read on

Memorial to archive Anzac Day Tweets

Thursday 23 April 2015

The Australian War Memorial has joined with Twitter to call on Australians around the country to record their own Anzac Day commemorations and events for inclusion in its national collection.

On Anzac Day, Saturday 25 April 2015, the Memorial will be encouraging people to use the hashtag #AnzacDay to post their Tweets of commemorative events and activities from their own communities.  In partnership with Twitter, the Memorial will collect the Tweets as a record of how people commemorated the centenary of the landing at Gallipoli.

Read on

2015 Anzac Day media briefing pack

Monday 20 April 2015

2015 ANZAC DAY SERVICES AT THE AUSTRALIAN WAR MEMORIAL

 

Today, Monday 20 April, 10.00 am – media site walkthrough

Media are invited to attend the Anzac Day site walkthrough with the Memorial’s media team.

Please meet at the stairs at the top of the Parade Ground to discuss the following:

Read on

Anzac Day 2015 at the Memorial: Start planning – it’s going to be big!

Monday 30 March 2015

With Anzac Day 2015 commemorative services less than a month away, the Australian War Memorial is encouraging people seeking to attend the event to start planning their trip and to prepare early for the historic centenary anniversary of the Gallipoli landing.

Record crowds are expected at the Dawn Service and the National Ceremony and, owing to increased demand, all reserved seats for the National Ceremony have now been allocated.

Read on

Captain Lionel Matthews’ George Cross medal donated to Memorial

Monday 2 March 2015

Director of the Australian War Memorial, Dr Brendan Nelson, was today honoured to accept the donation of the rare George Cross posthumously awarded to Captain Lionel Colin Matthews for extreme and selfless courage while a prisoner of war.

On this day 71 years ago, Captain Matthews, known as “The Duke”, was executed by the Japanese in the Kuching prisoner-of-war camp on the island of Borneo.

Read on

Pages